Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Galatians 6:11-18

Galatians 6:11-18 Podcast

11 See what large letters I use as I write to you with my own hand!
12 Those who want to impress people by means of the flesh are trying to compel you to be circumcised. The only reason they do this is to avoid being persecuted for the cross of Christ. 13 Not even those who are circumcised keep the law, yet they want you to be circumcised that they may boast about your circumcision in the flesh. 14 May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. 15 Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is the new creation. 16 Peace and mercy to all who follow this rule—to the Israel of God. 17 From now on, let no one cause me trouble, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus. 18 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, brothers and sisters. Amen. (Galatians 6:11-18)

Having considered the first three characteristics of the spiritual man (mends the broken, helps the needy, and feeds the Spirit) in Galatians 6, today, we will close out the book of Galatians with the fourth characteristic of the spiritual man. The fourth characteristic of the spiritual man is he is captivated by the cross of Christ.

In v.11, the Apostle highlights that he writes with large letters. The reason Paul accentuates this is it is an example of the effect of the cross of Christ. Paul writes with large letters because he had poor eyesight. This was one of Paul's weaknesses. When you live in the shadow of the cross, you will not be afraid of others knowing about your weaknesses.

In v.12, we read that the false teachers were trying to make a good showing in the flesh. Not that it is wrong to put one's best foot forward, but the motive is most important. What is clear is these false teachers were not motivated by the work that Christ accomplished while on the cross of Calvary. They were motivated by selfishness.

When we are captivated by the cross, we will be defined accordingly. It is impossible to be proud at the foot of the cross. And so for those who don't want to humble themselves before God, the cross remains an offense or a scandal.

In v.16 we learn that God's peace and mercy belong to people who live by the rule that proclaims: "May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. "

In v.15 we read, "Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is the new creation." This new creation is when the believer in Christ is defined by the cross of Christ. We are the new creation. we are the ones who have a heart for the One who laid down His life for us.

In v.14, we learn of three crucifixions. "May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." In this one verse we have Christ's crucifixion, the crucifixion of the world to the believer, and the crucifixion of the believer to the world.

It is the love of Christ, best displayed at the cross which causes the captivated heart to want to bring glory to the Lord Jesus. A friend once said to me, "I must live so close to the cross that I get splinters in my nose." The flesh is fed most when we lose sight of the cross. It is imperative that the cross of Christ become the crosshairs of our every day lives.

Perhaps you'll remember the story of the little boy who moved into a new neighborhood. He decided to go on a ride on his bike. He rode and rode. As he rode he was taken aback by his new neighborhood. Then he realized he had not been paying attention and he did not know how to get back home. He began to cry. And, just then a police officer pulled up alongside the boy. Noticing his tears, the officer asked the boy what was wrong. The boy informed the officer that he was lost. So, the officer began calling out places to help the boy find his way home. He asked the boy, "do you live near the supermarket on third street?" The boy said, "no." He then asked if he lived near the school on fifth street. The boy said, "no." Then the officer asked, "do you live near the church with the cross on top on seventh street?" The boy's face brightened and he said, "yes sir, if you will point me in the direction of the cross, I'll find my way home."