Monday, May 13, 2019

Galatians 5:16-18

Galatians 5:16-18 Podcast
To invest in BYM, click here

16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. (Galatians 5:16-18)


At this point in Galatians, Paul clearly is putting his finger on the real issue that is going on in the life of the believer. The issue isn't really circumcision, it is the flesh.


Now, the flesh is the evil that makes us do those things that are contrary to God's will in our lives. It is the flesh that is contrary to the working of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer.

As mentioned before, we are trichotomous beings, we have three parts: we are body, soul and spirit. Once we have been "born again" by believing in the gospel of the Lord Jesus, our once dead spirit was made alive to God through the Holy Spirit who has come into our spirit. This happens as the result of being justified in the eyes of God (justification). So, the arena of our justification is our spirit.

The arena of our sanctification is the arena of our soul. Our soul is made up of our mind, our will, and our emotion. After being "born again", we now are on the road to getting to know God. Sanctification is a process whereas justification is a one time event.

What does it mean to know God? It means that we are learning His thoughts and ways primarily through His word. His Spirit will use other things in concert with His word to teach us of His ways. The changing of our minds and our ways is called in the Bible, sanctification. Again, sanctification is a process. Due to the fact that it is a process explains why we struggle and we have set backs.

In v.16 Paul writes, "walk by the Spirit." When I was a little boy, I loved it when my father took me by the hands, set my feet on top of his and we walked together. The inertia of my father made me feel big. Little did I know those many years ago, how this game would inform my relationship with God all these years later. 

In a similar way, as I was in contact with my father by being held by Him and empowered by Him, I am led by the Spirit today. The Spirit will NEVER contradict the word of God in my life. Yet, He leads in and through the circumstances of my life. I have found that if I listen to Him, He will lead me to do those things which make up His will for my life in a given day. 

The Christian life is lived in the power of another, not in our own power. In v.18, the Apostle clearly tells us that to "walk by the Spirit" is to be "led by the Spirit". And, in so doing, according to v.16, " we will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

When we “walk by the Spirit,” we are being enabled by the Spirit to think God's thoughts and walk in His ways. This is the fulfillment of Ezekiel 36:26-27 which reads, "A new heart I will give you and a new spirit I will put within you . . . I will put my Spirit within you and cause you to walk in my statutes."

And, as a result, according to v.18, we "are not under the law.” This means we are not under the law’s condemnation because through the Spirit we have received the perfection of the Lord Jesus. When God looks at us through the lens of His Son, He no longer condemns us who hope in His righteousness.

Instead of being led by the law, which had the responsibility to lead us to Christ (Galatians 3:24), we are now being led by the Spirit. The Spirit is not an instrument in our hands but we are an instrument in his hands. The Spirit leads by stirring up family affection. He leads us by making us a son who acts out of faith and love.


"It is the Holy Spirit's job to convict, God's job to judge and my job to love."
Billy Graham