Monday, October 31, 2022

Mark 16:17-20


17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.” 19 So then, after the Lord had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven, and sat down at the right hand of God. 20 And they went out and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them and confirming the word through the accompanying signs. Amen. ~ Mark 16:17-20


Today, we complete our study of the Gospel according to Mark. At this point in the narrative, the Lord Jesus had accomplished what He set out to by going to the cross, paying the penalty for mankind's sin, and raising from the dead. In doing so, He not only purchased the forgiveness of God on our behalf, He also dealt a death blow to sin and death. Having believed that the Lord Jesus died on our behalf, we have been delivered from the penalty and power of sin. And, when the day comes that we are transported into eternity, we will experience the fact that the Lord Jesus delivered us from the presence of sin for eternity.

In v.17-18 of today's passage we read, "17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover."

This passage makes it sound as if the Lord Jesus was saying that everyone who believes and proclaims the gospel will do so with miraculous abilities. But for centuries millions of people have believed and shared the gospel, but none of these signs were manifested. We must keep in mind the environment during those days the Lord spoke these words to His disciples. It was an environment of persistent unbelief. These words were also addressed to those first disciples who struggled mightily with their disbelief. These words were not meant for all believers for all time.

On that day of great emotional ups and downs for the disciples, the Lord Jesus was saying to them, "As you are going, preach the gospel. And to encourage you, certain signs that only God can do will accompany the message."

These signs were the signs given to the Apostles. They were given in order to authenticate the message of those who first went out with the gospel into an unbelieving and hostile Jewish world. This was necessary at that time because the Jews were conditioned for, and, demanded signs to accompany the message. These signs were for the sake of those first century Jews who would believe.

In v.19-20 of today's passage we read, "19 So then, after the Lord had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven, and sat down at the right hand of God. 20 And they went out and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them and confirming the word through the accompanying signs. Amen."

Mark closes his account of the gospel with the idea that the Lord is involved in the invisible dimensions of our lives every moment of every day. God is involved right now in our lives more than we know. Perhaps, His miraculous involvement in our lives is kind of like the equivalent of the miracles that He assured those first century believers would accompany their sharing of the gospel. 

I can point to many times in my life when it was obvious that God was right in the middle of my life's decisions. I think of the Wednesday afternoon that I met with the man the Lord used to give me direction when I first became a believer. He said to me that day, "It appears the Lord is calling you into ministry. Let's look into the possible Bible Colleges that you could attend for the training you will need." 

Then, a few months after that Wednesday, I publicly expressed my desire to attend Bible College, but I had no money. I had no way to pay for the education. It was then that the Lord led a gracious couple to me. They asked if they could speak with me and through that conversation they told me that the Lord had laid it on their hearts to pay every dime of my college education. And, of course, they did.

Then, when I had been for two years at Columbia Bible College in Columbia, South Carolina, and I wanted to leave. It had been a lonely two years there. Then, at the beginning of my third year, I met the young lady who would become my wife. At just the right moment, she entered my life. If I had entered college the Fall after I had graduated from High School, I would have never met her.

I also think of that October day in 2004 when my wife and I had built up $12,000 in debt. Very frustrated with myself and the situation, I called a wealthy friend who told me that God had plopped a sizable amount of money into his lap and he had been praying all week that the Lord would make it obvious who He had in mind for this money. The afternoon that I went to that man's office, I learned that the check was written for $12,000. Just the amount we needed.

These stories and many others, have been used of the Lord in my life to say, "I'm in your life. You are on the right track, keep going." When we yield our lives to the Lord, we are in for the greatest adventure in this world that we can imagine. I am not saying that God will give us our will. No, I am saying that as we learn to yield our lives to Him, He will direct us into His will. And, what I have learned about His will is this: It is far greater than anything I could have imagined.