Monday, April 30, 2018

Daily Devotional #31 (1 John 3:14-18)

Today, we are considering 1 John 3:14-18, which reads, "14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other. Anyone who does not love remains in death. 15 Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him. 16 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. 17 If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? 18 Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth."

These verses remind of a song titled, Signs of Life. In that song, we read,  Where are the signs of life, the love that proves there is a beating heart inside? Where are the signs of life, the compassion and concern that makes this world turn? Where are the signs of life? As in that song, the Apostle John identifies a sign of the life of God in the life of the Believer. "We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other." 

One sign of the presence of God in the life of the Believer is love (agape). The word “agape” is rarely found in ancient Greek literature. It appears in Homer ten times. Three times it appears in Euripides. But it appears 320 times in the New Testament. That choice to remain committed no matter what. This is the type of love that is displayed by "laying down" one's life. The "laying down" here means the giving up of self-interest, the voluntary surrender of the right to meet our own needs in order that we might meet the needs of another. It is the giving up of self in order that we might minister to another type of love.

Now, I am sure that you noticed that in v.16, John writes "...we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters." Then in v.17, John writes "... If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them..." Why the plural in v.16, brothers and sisters? Then the singular in v.17, brother and sister? The answer is that it is so easy to talk about loving the brothers and sisters at the expense of the brother or sister. Biblical love is always personal and active. This type of love (agape) resembles God best. Agape risks. It risks what is dear to us, like our lives, our reputation, our plans.

It was early Spring in 1983 and I had been a Christian for about 18 months. Through a series of events God had led me to consider attending Bible College. In fact, I had made application to three different Bible Colleges in the Southeast of the USA. One Sunday night, I arose from my church pew at the First Baptist Church in Garden City, Georgia, I walked toward the back door, planning to go eat dinner with a group of friends,. Then, I heard a voice yelling out my name. I turned around and noticed an older couple wanting my attention. I vaguely knew them, but they knew me than I knew them. They had been praying for me for quite some time. As I walked toward them, they asked if they could have a brief conversation with me. As I sat there, I found myself stunned as they shared with me that for three months they had known that God wanted them to pay for my college education. This was the first time, as a Christian, that I experienced agape. I will never forget that couple. They remain in my prayers to this day, and it has been 35 years since that early Spring evening. They demonstrated agape to me and many others, as I discovered later.

Agape love is not natural for any human. It defines the person who is growing in his understanding of God's love. As Jim Elliot once said, “God always gives His best to those who leave the choice to Him.”