Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Daily Devotional #14 (1 John 2:12-14)

In 1 John 2 there are two threes.

12 I am writing to you, dear children, because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name. 13 I am writing to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I am writing to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one. 14 I write to you, dear children, because you know the Father. I write to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God lives in you, and you have overcome the evil one. (1 John 2:12-14)

The first three is Little Children, Fathers & Young Men.

In 1 John 2:16 we read, “for everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world.”

The second three is the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life.

The Apostle John is giving us here in v.12-14 three characteristics that enable us to realize and maintain a mature walk with God. Having considered the first two, Gratitude and Faith, today, we consider the third, Bible-based Convictions.

The Apostle John writes three things to the Young Men ... "you have overcome the evil one”, "you are strong", "and the word of God lives in you".


Someone once said, "Convictions will keep you from capsizing in a world of torrential waters." I have discovered that the convictions that have been forged into my life came on the heals of intense struggle with pain and trouble. During those times when I HAD to have substantive answers to my questions.

Isn't it funny how this works? We do not grow in our faith, unless we are willing to wrestle with our doubts. The cousin of doubt is faith. And real faith brings the believer to the scriptures for revelation from God. Wrong faith brings us to the scriptures for information. Information without revelation equals empty religion. Real faith leads me to one overall conviction, whatever is dear to Jesus is dear to me.

Are you battling the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life? Of course you are. God has equipped you with Gratitude, Faith, and Bible-based Convictions. Be diligent to foster these three daily.